Thursday, March 1, 2012

Manually Create a PNAgent Shortcut to a Published Application


In some cases I need to have Active Directory Group Policy Preferences to handle pnagent shortcuts.  To create a shortcut you need to adhere to the following command line format:


[local path to pnagent.exe file] /Qlaunch "[farm name defined on the services site]:[published application name]"

Please note, the farm name is not the same farm name as defined in XenApp.  The farm name is what is defined in the Web Interface Services Site.  Also, the farm name and published application name is case sensitive.

For example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\pnagent.exe" /QLaunch "XenApp:Notepad"

You can also use the above format in deploying shortcuts via Active Directory Group Policy. To do this:


  1. Open the group policy management console.
  2. Open an existing group policy or create a new one.
  3. Navigate to: User Configuration | Preferences | Windows Settings | Shortcuts
  4. Create a new shortcut with the following parameters (parameters not listed below means it is up to you to decide what you want):
    1. Target type: File System Object
    2. Target path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\pnagent.exe
    3. Arguments: /QLaunch "[farm name defined on the services site]:[published application name]
    4. Icon file path: [make sure the location of the icon file is accessible by all clients]
  5. You can then set item level targeting to target only those that are assigned the published resource.

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking for a way to launch a desktop using PNagent but with a different username and password.



    Heres what we have and what I'm trying to do:

    We currently have thin clients that we us desktop lock on to connect to the VDA.

    I want to remove desktop lock and just have a generic user logged into the thin client and have Sentillion be the shell and pass creds to a script which will then launch the desktop based on the creds that were entered into Sentillion.



    I've tried to use a runas command to run a command prompt as the user that I want the desktop launched as, I thought it worked once but it hasent worked again.

    I've thought about a lot of different ways but nothing that will work.



    I'm looking for anything or any help from anyone out there that has either thought about this or has done this.

    I thought about buying a bridge to make it work, the problem is that the bridge adds overhead and increases the login times. I'm looking to decrease the login times.



    -Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am assuming you are using Desktop Lock with Windows XP clients? In your particular case, I would use ThinKiosk instead. ThinKiosk replaces the local shell, so your local workstation can be thin client-esque and locked down from the user point of view. I will have the local workstation login with a generic locked down account automatically that automatically launches the ThinKiosk shell. With ThinKiosk, you specify the Citrix Web Interface and that is what pops up after the generic auto-login happens. The users are then presented with the Web Interface login, and they can launch the applications that are only published to them.

    You can find more information about ThinKiosk here: http://andrewmorgan.ie/thinkiosk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any idea how to create a shortcut to open Citrix IE to a certain webpage?

    ReplyDelete